Monday, November 26, 2007

A GM...in Maryland?

Tooling around, I stumbled on the Top 100 players in Maryland over at Baltimore Chess. Not recognizing the name at #1, Alexander Onischuk, and seeing he's so far above #2 (144 points) I Google him.

Dude's the 36th highest rated player in the world!

I know UMBC has a solid chess team, and I've casually followed them in the USCL, but I had no idea we had such a powerhouse in my backyard.

From USCF: Since 1997, Alexander has worked on chess together with the 12th World Champion Anatoly Karpov being his second in many matches and tournaments. Over the last seven years, Alexander has invariably remained in the top 50 in the World. He immigrated to the US in 2001 and currently lives in Baltimore.

Shut. Up. He's been Karpov's second?

I so have to get down to the Fells Point Chess Club and find out if he hangs out there, if he plays in any clubs or whatever. I'd loved to get blasted away by a GM OTB. I imagine the experience to be invigorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment