Thursday, November 15, 2007

Interview with a young chess player

For kicks, to practice interviewing (since I do hope to be an occasional journalist here) and to get my daughter involved with something creative on the web, I am presenting a brief interview with her:

How long have you been playing chess?

A couple months. My dad taught me.

Is he any good?

Yeah, but I beat him sometimes.

Straight-up or did you get help beating him?

A little of both.

What's your best chess memory?

Beating my dad for the first time.

Do you study or practice regularly?

I do worksheets and my dad and I play each other.

Tell me about your first tournament.

I didn't win, but I got a trophy for the highest rated Unrated. I played the highest rated player and lasted a really long time. She can beat kids older than her in a snap.

What do you like about chess?

I'm not sure. I just enjoy it. I think it's fascinating and fun.

What do you think you need to do to get better?

I'm not really sure. Maybe practice more with my dad.

Anything else?

Bishops or Knights?

Both.

You don't have a favorite?

Nope.

1. e4 or 1. d4?

e4.

Why?

I just think its the best move. I just stick to it.

The greatest American player and former World Champion, Robert Fischer, once said, "Best by test: e4!" What do you think of that?

I don't know. Just...what?

He was saying the best move to start the game was e4.

Uh...okay?

(Both of us laugh)


Is there anything else you want to say about chess?


No.

Thanks for your time.

Sure. No problem!


She's tickled at that thought of somebody actually reading this. At some point she'll post as a guest contributor, once she thinks of something to say :)

No comments:

Post a Comment